Copper toxicity

A number of biochemical processes depend on copper to function normally, plus copper is involved in the function of the nervous system. It is an essential component of iron utilization, connective tissue formation, pigmentation and enzymes used in energy production.

Although copper is one of the essential nutrients required by the human body for both physical and mental health, an excessive copper concentration in the human body becomes a toxic threat. Too much cooper in the system can cause a variety of ailments, including diarrhea, eczema, high blood pressure, kidney disease, nausea, premenstrual syndrome, sickle cell anemia, stomach pain and severe damage to the central nervous system.

The regular daily intake of 2 to 5 mg copper in adults is considered normal and thus free from harmful effects. Higher dosage, of 32 mg, can have an astringent effect and cause nausea; 80 to 132 mg may lead to vomiting.

Acute copper toxicity can result in number pathologies and, in severe cases, death. It can result from the ingestion of copper contaminated beverages including water or the accidental or liberate ingestion of high quantity of copper salts.
Copper toxicity

Recent Posts

The Most Popular Articles

RSS Food Processing

Hypertension and Diet

Processing of Food

Food Science and Human Nutrition

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by 2008

Back to TOP